Wednesday, July 26, 2006

back

I spent last week at a workshop for college teachers and I'm beat! I haven't spent this much time talking about teaching since my "pedagogy class" in grad school--I put it in quotation marks because mostly it was a desperate effort to keep us from quitting mid-quarter, I think, and didn't offer nearly as much helpful content as the title might imply. Not that the folks teaching it were inept or corrupt--far from it--it's just that pedagogy gets, or got, very little attention in my graduate program. And while I've certainly tried to keep up with things over the last twenty (gasp) years, it's rare that one really gets a chance to sit down and talk about pedagogy while in the thick of the teaching year. So it was nice to talk about what we do and why we do it, and whether it works.

And now I have plenty of new ideas to try out, and a backlog of work to do here, and a family to catch up with, and blogs to read, and...well, you know the drill. I've got a few things in mind, and (I hope) a recipe for Friday, but things may be a little sparse here for a while.

No comments: