Monday, April 24, 2006

fun with wikipedia

Borrowed from both Republic of Heaven and Raising WEG:

Go to Wikipedia and look up your birth day (excluding the year). List three events, three births, and three deaths, including the year.

So here are the three events:

# 600 - Pope Gregory I decreed that "God bless you" was the correct response to a sneeze. (This is absolutely my favorite thing! Who knew that "God bless you" came about as the response to a sneeze by papal decree?)
# 1923 - Howard Carter unseals the burial chamber of Pharaoh Tutankhamun.
# 1959 - Fidel Castro becomes Premier of Cuba after President Fulgencio Batista was overthrown on January 1.


And the three births:

# 1822 - Sir Francis Galton, English explorer and biologist (d. 1911)
# 1903 - Edgar Bergen, American ventriloquist (d. 1978)
# 1935 - Sonny Bono, singer, music producer, television producer, and U.S. Congressman (d. 1998)

(Also, because I can't help it, Margaux Hemingway, LeVar Burton, Ice T, and John MacEnroe, as well as the man who was headmaster of my high school while I was a student there...)


The deaths seem less interesting to me:

# 1912 - St. Nikolai of Japan, Eastern Orthodox priest (b. 1836)
# 1990 - Keith Haring, American artist (b. 1958)
# 1992 - Angela Carter, English writer (b. 1940)


My birthday is also Lithuanian Independence Day, and (somewhat sadly, I fear) Kyoto Protocol Day.

No comments: