Wednesday, July 09, 2003

Driving Miss...

So this is what life with a teenager is like. You drive a lot. Then you wait for phone calls, or check messages, or make phone calls, because whatever plan there was, failed, and there is no new one yet. Oh, all right, I wrote about this yesterday. But it just keeps happening.

I was unreasonably happy almost all day today. I talked with a colleague in the office for a while and she was miserable--hates work, hates summer, had to cancel a planned vacation, life sucks, yadda yadda. And I know, it does, in lots of ways. But somehow none of the things that bother me did so today. (Yeah, I know, just wait for tomorrow...) Then I had lunch with my rector. A little trepidatious here, because I've missed a lot of meetings lately that she wanted me to be at. But I just had to draw a line and skip things if I was going to remain a member of this family. So I was all prepared for the lecture, and it never came. She wanted my advice! Ha! (Actually, that was fine.) And I told her I don't think I'm called to ordained ministry right now. It's something I've been struggling with for almost two years now and I feel this great sense of relief (unreasonable happiness?) that I don't have to make a big change right now. Which is not to say I won't, at some point. But right now--I have a job that has great hours, great benefits (summers off, a lovely office, free books, no overdue fines at the library)...oh, and they think it's cool that I want to read and think about books and theology! Or, at least, they tolerate it--and, actually, pay me for it.

And then there's the fact that we now have central air conditioning and just refinanced the house, which will save us lots of money and actually caused a large check to be delivered to us yesterday. Things are good.

Which is not to say they might not be bad again tomorrow. But for the moment, it's all good.

No comments: