Saturday, May 31, 2008

More from the Tedium Monkey

Nick's applesauce/oat bran muffins went over so well he decided to see if he could make dinner. Turns out he mostly could, with the help (again) of me as tedium monkey.

Here's what he made:

  • Boneless chicken breasts, marinated (lemon-rosemary marinade by me, rosemary picked by Nick) and grilled on the panini grill
  • Grilled zucchini and a portobello mushroom (for Mariah), also on the panini grill
  • Linguine
  • Cheese sauce (a very light bechamel with some cheese whisked in). I helped, though I misjudged amounts a bit and we ended up with a lot left over.

Nick likes meals with options: you could eat everything separately, everything altogether, or any combination thereof. I ended up cutting up my chicken and zucchini and tossing it with cheese sauce over linguine, and it was mighty tasty.

The panini grill is a great way for a kid to make a meal, I've decided. It's almost foolproof, puts neat grill marks on the food, and is easy to clean up. Everyone was delighted with the meal-- especially Mariah, who skipped the cheese sauce and chicken to make her meal vegan.

No comments: