Friday, May 05, 2006

Friday Food--taking a break

Nick's home sick with strep today, and I'm in the throes of grading, so I don't have a recipe this week. But here's Mom's version of stir-fried spiced cabbage:

Stir fried spiced cabbage
To serve 4
1 lb. Chinese cabbage, bok choy or green or Savoy cabbage
[just to be contrary, and because it's what I had in the house, I used red cabbage]
5 teaspoons sugar
5 teaspoons white vinegar [I had some specialty yuzu vinegar, and used that, but generally I like to use Japanese or Chinese white wine vinegar]
2 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 scant teaspoon salt [I generally omit, but maybe using 1/2 teaspoon would work better than omitting it entirely]
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper [I used what it called for, and Dad and I agreed that probably 1/8 teaspoon would have been enough]
2 1/2 tablespoons peanut or flavorless vegetable oil [I usually use peanut oil, but didn't have any, so used canola this evening]
1) Cut cabbage into fine shreds, set aside.
2) In a small bowl, combine sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, salt and cayenne pepper and mix thoroughly. Have the oil in easy reach.
To cook: Place a 12" wok over a high heat for about 30 seconds. Pour in the oil, swirl it in the pan and heat for another 30 seconds, then turn heat down to moderate. Imeediately add the cabbage and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, making sure that all the cabbage is coated with oil. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the soy-vinegar mixture. Transfer the cabbage to a dish and let it cool to lukewarm before serving. Or chill and serve cold.
From the Time Life Foods of the World, The Cooking of China.

No comments: