Monday, February 13, 2006

not a recipe

One of my favorite indulgences a few years back, when I was driving Mariah to piano lessons about twenty minutes from campus, was to stop at Starbucks on the way for a snack. I know, I know, corporate blah-blah, but they have these incredibly yummy maple-oat-nut scones. They are huge and rich and probably not at all proper-English-scones*, but I loved them. So much that I gained a few pounds that year. I blame the scones.

Mariah isn't taking piano lessons any more and so I don't drive by that Starbucks too often. Or at all, in fact. There are others, of course (there is always another Starbucks just around the corner, isn't there?) but I have stopped stopping in for the scone.

I do buy coffee from the little coffee shop on campus that sells Starbucks coffee but is not a Starbucks franchise, but that's another story. They have only little bitty scones--blueberry and cinnamon--and they are just not the same.

So on Saturday I pulled out Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, and found a recipe for oat scones. I didn't add nuts, or maple syrup for that matter, but they were nonetheless remarkably like the Starbucks ones. Not so pillowy or big, because I cut them out using my little round biscuit cutter (in a former life it was a can of green chiles, and it is just the right size), but just as tasty.

I liked them so much I almost made them again Sunday morning, but reason prevailed. Later in the day I made Nigella's granola instead. I'm sensing a little bit of a trend. Mmmm, breakfast.

*I have a recipe for proper-English-scones, too, that I got here, thanks to Becca's recommendation last year.

2 comments:

Susan said...

One of my favorite indulgences is Starbucks mini vanilla scones. You buy them three at a time. YUMMMM.

Mamacita said...

Some of the best "dates" I've had with my daughters have been at coffee shops, too. Despite the numbers of people coming in and out, we've had wonderful conversations over vanilla steamers and chocolate chunk cookies or, yes, a scone. So maybe the Starbucks-on-every-corner phenomenon isn't ALL bad...