Tuesday, March 01, 2005

A Small Crime

Check out this piece by Susan Ito. And thanks to Kate for reminding me about it!

Actually, this whole site (VerbSap) is really cool. I notice a lot of names I recognize from Readerville there. I used to spend a lot of time at Readerville, and then life intervened, or I started blogging, or knitting, or something. Anyway I don't hang out there much any more, but it's nice to see the names again.

I know other people write about virtual communities and the internet, and some day I'd like to learn more about them. I have several small virtual communities online--two writing groups and Literary Mama, as well as the blogosphere, where I mostly still feel pretty marginal (by choice, I hasten to add). I still feel a certain unreality about these communities, though one of my writing groups now comprises some of my closest friends, less than half of whom I've met in person.

Ah, I've come a long way from the piece I started out by linking to. As a professor I once TA'd for used to say, I've opened an associative vein and just let it bleed all over the screen (he used to say paper, but, well, you know...). Time to stop the bleeding and go read something now.

No comments: