Sunday, October 07, 2007

another finished object

I've been knitting during the baseball playoffs, which I find is a very satisfying way to pass the time. I don't really have a team in it this year (sigh: biggest end-of-season collapse in history) so I don't feel compelled to watch every second, which makes for good knitting time. Mostly I'm working on a (to me) somewhat complicated lace pattern that involves actually paying attention to the knitting, but I also did a very quick knit to felt (or, technically, full), and I finished it a couple of days ago. Now it's all felted and dry and it is my new fall purse. This is the "bag of many pockets" from the book Felt Frenzy. I knitted it from Patons Soy Wool Stripes, a blend of wool and soy that I really really enjoyed--I'm delighted to discover that I have a skein leftover to play with. (The non-stripey section is Cascade 220 Heathers, a worsted-weight wool, for anyone who cares.) This only took me a couple of evenings to knit, and then twenty minutes in the washing machine to shrink it down to size. It has pockets for my cell phone, keys, and pens, and is altogether a wonderful thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love this purse. I'm still in the scarf stage...

Libby said...

You know, Roxanne, I'm starting to think "the scarf stage" is a problem. Mariah was in it for a long time (a year or two) and never finished anything--because it gets boring. But she made a little coin purse in about two days, felted it, and it looks great! Much more instant gratification!

Anonymous said...

I have actually finished scarves for both Seamus and Leila and now I'm knitting two for myself. The first is simple garter stitch so I don't have to think, and the second is cabled and a keyhole scarf -- so I am getting "daring"!

Part of the problem is that I need circular needles to start a shawl that I'm interested in and can't find a knitting shop. Did you find one when you were in Oxford?