Saturday, February 17, 2007

birthday cake

What happens on the baker's birthday? In my case, people say to me, "You shouldn't have to bake your own cake." They take me out to dinner. They ply me with gifts.

These are all good things, don't get me wrong. So last night we went out to dinner, to a lovely spot where--for some reason--cake was not on the menu. (The choices were chocolate mousse, apple crisp, and banana creme brulee, which seems to be the "it" dessert of the moment: it's been on the menu everywhere lately. I had the crisp.) Last year we had Japanese for my birthday dinner--again, not really a cake kind of a cuisine.

This is all fine. But today I baked a cake. Because, if I want cake on my birthday (or thereabouts) (and I do), I'm not only going to have to bake it, I actually want to. I like my cakes. I like to bake. Where's the problem here?


(Mississippi Mud Cake, from New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, aka "The White Moosewood.")

5 comments:

Magpie said...

There is no problem. And it looks like it was a great cake! On my birthday this year, I wasn't going to have time to bake, and my husband leaves the baking to me, so I marched into a bakery in a town we were passing through and announced that it was my birthday and where were the cakes. And I got a very nice lemon pound cake with that sort of drizzly crunchy icing on it.

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Libby, happy belated birthday! That is - wow - a gorgeous cake.

kate said...

Oh, that looks yummy!I hope you enjoyed it!

Libby said...

Magpie, that's a great story. Thanks, Susan & Kate! It was (is! leftovers!) good, and so easy. Yum.

Lilian said...

Oh dear... last year *I* baked a cake for you (too bad you couldn't taste it) and blogged about it, but this year I wasn't even here to wish you happy birthday! :) That cake is making me so hungry! I'm sure you enjoyed it, and you definitely deserved it. I hope I can teach my boys to be good bakers so they can bake me a cake on my birthday someday, what about that?