Thursday, November 17, 2005

Spice Cookies

Those of you who came over from the Carnival of the Feminists may not be expecting a cookie recipe, but I think Pauline (from comments) can't be the only person who could use this. Honestly, they are the best spice cookies: easy, fun for kids to make, and oh-so-tasty. Oh, and quick.

They come from one of the funniest cookbooks ever, one I've mentioned here before: The I Hate to Cook Book, by Peg Bracken (illustrations by the fabulous Hilary Knight, of Eloise fame). As most of you know I don't hate to cook, but I love a cookbook that assumes one has better things to do. In fact, there's a little seventies feminism going on a decade early in Bracken--she assumes the women (yes, she does assume it's women) who buy her book may in fact be changing the world, and thus too busy to cook much. One of the original work-life balance writers, then. (OK, she also suggests they may be lying in bed eating bon-bons on occasion, but who doesn't fantasize about that, some days?)

Enough! Here's the recipe:

Mix together:
3/4 cup shortening (I use a stick of butter and a 1/4 cup of non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening)
1 cup sugar
1 egg, unbeaten
1/4 cup molasses

Then sift together and stir in
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon powdered cloves
3/4 teaspoon powdered ginger

Now mix it all together and form it into walnut-sized balls. Put them two inches apart on a greased cooky sheet and bake at 375 for ten to twelve minutes.

It makes a lot; they'll puff up a bit and then settle and crinkle on the top, just like spice cookies should.

5 comments:

sam said...

I copied this and filed it away long ago (probably when you posted it), and it occurred to me yesterday that I should make cookies, so I made these.

Yum! I think you made them smaller, but with this recipe I made a dozen big cookies that were wonderfully chewy. I sprinkled them with sugar when they came out of the oven.

I should note, too, that these are what I have always called ginger cookies--a tasty treat I have eaten for years in coffee shops, but never made at home. Thanks.

Suz said...

Thanks so much for having this recipe online! My gramma had that cookbook - small paperback. Today, i'm tearing the house apart looking for it...can't believe i tossed it in one of my cleaning frenzies??

Elevator Lady Spice cookies was the only recipe i ever used out of it. And when my kids were growing up, we made these a lot...now i wanna make some for their kids...

Thanks again!! Love your musings!!! -- Suz :D

P.S. Gramma was NOT a cook!!!

Anonymous said...

Suz - good news! I just found at Amazon a 50th anniversary re-issue of the book! (Has it really been that long??) You should try some of the other recipes - there are some good ones!

Magpie said...

Mmm. Must try these.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much! This is the first recipe I ever made as a teen (I'm 51 now).