Monday, January 22, 2007

Glad that's over with

So, according to some guy I heard on the radio, today was the most depressing day of the year. (Hey, it was NPR! It must be true!) He explained that the Monday of the last full week of January is considered to be the most depressing day of the year. Christmas bills, cold weather (so I assume this is just in the Northern Hemisphere), and failed New Year's resolutions were listed as the causes.

So if this was the most depressing day of the year I'm in pretty good shape, because it could have been a lot worse. In fact, it was a perfectly fine day. The kids would have liked a little more snow--we had some freezing rain that postponed the start of school for two hours but didn't cause a cancellation. The power went out on campus after I'd taught my class, so I cancelled my office hours and came home to work in warmth and comfort. Tae kwon do class and dinner with a friend (twice-postponed already, so we were bound to make it happen) rounded out the day.

The happiest day of the year is supposed to be June 22, in case you want to make plans.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I know why I make it a policy to only pick New Year's resolutions that are impossible to fail at by January 22. The key is to choose something sufficiently vague as to be immune to immediate failure.

Heather said...

ditto on the glad that's over with front

here's to happy--

Becca said...

That's so funny, because I had had a pretty bad previous several days, and yesterday I had a good day!

Anonymous said...

6/22 must be the happiest day because it's the day after my birthday and everyone's still basking in the glow of wishing me good birthday tidings. That must be it, right?