Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Is the academy family-friendly? And other important questions...

Check out this discussion at the blog, 11D:

Several factors are conspiring to make academia a particularly hostile place for parents. 1) The level of competition for jobs means that universities have no need to accommodate individuals with family responsibilities. 2) Most women don’t finish their dissertations until their mid thirties and don’t secure tenure until their forties. Too late to start a family. 3) The profession is traditionally male, and women don’t feel comfortable asking for a special room to breastfeed or for paid maternity leave. 4) There are no adequate part-time options for parents. Adjuncting doesn't pay for the babysitter.


Your thoughts?
11D

3 comments:

Gilson Graphics said...

Hi!
I am not commenting specifically to this blog entry, I just wanted to say that I found you on Literary Mamas and really enjoyed your writing and perspective. I have been searching (for months, it seems) for an online blog forum for women in the middle of life who are dealing with the doubly cruel blow of pre-menopause and teenagers simultaneously. I am really struggling right now with two daughters (ages 14 and 16) and all the issues facing them as well as me.
I know you are very busy...if you have any suggestions as to sites (forums, blogs, etc.) about these issues, could you let me know? If not, I will come back periodically anyway to enjoy your columns and blogs. I just joined blogger. My blog is mwomen. Talk to you later!

Libby said...

thanks, Nita. I wish I knew of sites for parents of teens! If you find any, let me know...and thanks for your kind words.

Elisabeth

Anonymous said...

Hi!
This is a subject close to my heart. I chose to have children as a (mature-age) postgraduate student rather than wait to finish my dissertation and gain tenure. While I'm happy that I've gone down this path I'm in the situation now where I'm watching people finish and get jobs in academia while I'm trying to write, teach and look after children with some childcare. I find it incredibly difficult to concentrate on my work being sleep deprived as I'm nursing my baby and getting up early to take my eldest to school.

Structurally, universities are not set up to cater for children, either. After some agitation, a change table was installed in the disabled toilet on my office floor. But there isn't anywhere to nurse here and expressing is difficult as well - no place to do it privately.
I can understand why women in academia either leave having children until they are established in their career or do not have any. There doesn't seem to be an easy solution.