Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Up Too Early

If things seem a little off-kilter here today it's United Airlines' fault. That's right. They were somehow unable to get a plane from Chicago to here on time last night, which meant my sister and her delightful family were unable to make a connection on time, which meant they spent another night with us (which was fine) and had to catch a very early flight this morning (not so fine). The killer for me was my sister's report that the gate agent told her if she really needed to be somewhere on time, she shouldn't book on the last flight of the day. That is, you've got to expect that flights won't run, will be cancelled, will be late, and it's your problem to deal with that.

What??

OK, enough of that. They (my sis & bro-in-law) can write their own letter to United. But all I'm saying is I was up too early.

On to better things. I've added a few books and movies lately to the reading/viewing lists, but I have little to say about them right now. I'm feeling exhausted and depleted, though mostly in a good way. It was my birthday yesterday (thus the family visit!) and I raked in all sorts of new and interesting books, so maybe there will be more fun reports soon. I'd also like to mention that I have two new cookbooks, a lovely new necklace, funky boots, and a check to spend on myself. I have never quite gotten over the love of birthdays, I must say.

It looks like the inside of a snowglobe out my window right now and I am half-way hoping for a snow day tomorrow, even though I don't teach and I'd still probably come in to the office to meet with students and try to get some work done. I have been thinking of snow days as pure annoyance for the last several years and today something just snapped and I'm back in kid mode--a free day off! Snow to play in! I think it's because this snow is just so lovely right now--big fluffy flakes wafting gently downwards.

No comments: