Monday, February 02, 2004

That SuperBowl thing...

OK, Lizbeth pretty much says it all for me here:MOM & Pop Culture. The whole Janet Jackson breast thing: who cares? I saw it (yes, I was actually watching the SuperBowl) and frankly it didn't even look like a blunder to me. The woman I was watching with turned to me and said "She had a pastie on, right?" and we both agreed that yes, probably, she did, and that was that.

Frankly the old man beating up his aged wife to get at a bag of chips was far more offensive. In fact so many ads seemed to be about how American men hate their wives that I stopped counting. Oh, and the farting horse. I mean, ick! I'm hardly a prude, but that was such lowest common denominator humor. Ick, ick, ick.

On the other hand I did like the one where the dog bites the guy in the crotch to get the beer. So sue me.

Another thing--how many people really suffer from erectile dysfunction? And do we really need quite so many ads about drugs to combat it? Am I missing something, or is this really a big social problem that I am just not aware of?

OK, rant over. I'm trying to work on a column about teenagers and letting go and it's just so much easier to rant!

No comments: