1. Who was your first prom date? I went to my junior prom without a date. Before you feel sorry for me, you should know that 1)my school didn't have a prom tradition, so it was no big deal and 2) most of us went without dates. My dress was hideous, though--think low-end Gunne Sax.
2. Do you still talk to your first love? Nope. We last saw each other at a high school reunion (we didn't date in high school, though), the summer right after he got married and right before I did. We had chosen a lot of the same music and that seemed somehow significant. (Oh, my goodness, that was over twenty years ago!)
3. What was your first alcoholic drink? Either a vodka tonic or a rum and coke.
4. What was your first job? I worked as a day-camp counselor the summers after seventh and eighth grade, and decided that I was not cut out for child-care work. I still haven't quite gotten over it.
5. What was your first car? 1982 Ford Escort, bought new right after I graduated from college. I learned how to drive a stick shift getting it home from the dealer.
6. Who was the first person to text you today? Nobody. I get about three texts a year, all from Mariah.
7. Who is the first person you thought of this morning? Mariah.
8. Who was your first grade teacher? Miss Hirooka, at Nishimachi International School.
9. Where did you go on your first ride on an airplane? When we moved to Japan in the winter of 1966.
10. Who was your first best friend, and are you still friends with him/her? My first best friend was Traci K, in Tokyo. Her family later moved to California and I met up with her once when I was living there right before grad school; it was something of a disaster. We couldn't figure out what we had in common anymore.
11. What was your first sport played? Sport? What is this sport you speak of?
12. Where was your first sleepover? Jo-Ann S, 4th grade. It was her birthday party, and it was a Friday during Lent, when I had given up chocolate and all kinds of other things that were served. I called home in tears and my parents said it was ok to eat what I was offered, that I shouldn't worry about it. Then I felt a little embarrassed for making a scene, but the choclate cake was really good and I got over it.
13. Who was the first person you talked to today? Mariah. "Your alarm went off fifteen minutes ago. It's time to get up."
14. Whose wedding were you in the first time? Mine. I've been in three or four since then, though.
15. What was the first thing you did this morning? Woke Mariah up.
16. What was the first concert you ever went to? I think it was Jackson Browne, the "Running on Empty" tour, summer of 1978.
17. What was your first tattoo or piercing? My mother pierced my ears for me when I was in sixth grade. The left one was off-center, and she re-pierced it a year later; both holes are still open.
18. What was the first foreign country you went to? Japan when I was almost five.
19. What was your first run-in with the law? Hmm, a speeding ticket in 1982 or 3, maybe?
20. When was your first detention? I never had detention.
21. What was the first state you lived in? New York.
22. Who was the first person to break your heart? I don't think anyone's ever broken my heart, thankfully. A couple of bumps and bruises; I've been very lucky.
23. Who was your first roommate? Betsy H, at Kent. Her sister was a senior and that somehow meant she was too cool for me. Or something.
24. Where did you go on your first limo ride? I don't remember ever riding in a limo.