Friday, November 30, 2007

"Greenwashing"

As if it weren't enough to feel guilty pretty much every time I shop--something I buy is likely to be trucked across the country, grown in an unsustainable manner, or bad for me--now I have to worry that even the "good" things are also bad. Still, I appreciated the tips here on figuring out what's really "eco-friendly" and what isn't. And I'm trying to remind myself that doing one thing better is better than none, so I'm trying to let go of the guilt and just be grateful that I have choices.

Today I bought some of this organic chocolate (yes, because I had read about it). I don't know if it was a good choice or a bad one, but it will be tasty, I'm sure. And I bought it from a small locally-owned store.

(I know I saw the "Six Sins of Greenwashing" on someone else's blog, but I can no longer remember whose...)

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Yeah, on the one hand I appreciate these tips, but on the other hand a person has to live in this world, and being wracked with guilt about every choice isn't going to improve anything. Living has an impact on the world. Doing one thing better every day is better than throwing up one's hands in despair.