Monday, July 25, 2005

not dead yet

I always love that guy in Monty Python and the Holy Grail (it IS that one, isn't it?) who claims he's not dead yet, and the other guy says, you will be soon. Anyway, I'm still here, but it's been crazy busy and my laptop is dead or dying and I'm using a shared computer in a different time zone and, yeah. well. I'm not blogging much. Sorry.

I do still have some things to say, but for the moment all I can remember is my favorite British road signs, so I will leave you with them.

1. "No Hard Shoulder." I hated those eighties shoulderpads, too, but why ban them on the motorway?

2. "Soft Verge." I love this even though I'm pretty sure there's nothing at all weird about it.

3. "Humped Zebra Crossing." I remember cracking up about "zebra crossings" the first time I was in England, over 30 years ago now, but "humped" ones are even better. I keep imagining a cross between a camel and a zebra.

4. "Diverted Traffic." No doubt laughing about the humped zebra crossings.

4 comments:

Becca said...

Oh my gosh, are you driving?! You're a braver soul than me!

Libby said...

Ha! No, no, all these have been seen either out a coach window or walking. Though Mark claims he's going to drive us to Wales in a couple of weeks...

Anonymous said...

I completely missed that you are in England for the summer!

We leave tomorrow (7/29) for London and will be staying with my mother in Wokingham for a week. Any chance of actually meeting you while I'm there? I imagine our schedule will be nuts, and I'm sure yours is too---but e-mail me if it's a possibility---paigeb@earthlink.net---and I'll give you the local phone number.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.