Monday, March 29, 2004

whining

I had a fabulous weekend in Georgia, hanging out with old and new friends, going to papers about British Women Writers, learning a lot, laughing, eating well. It was tiring, and it was hard to be away for almost four whole days, but worth it.

Then I got home. And Nick was fussy about the present I'd brought him, and I had work to do, and the weather wasn't quite as pleasant here as it had been in Georgia.

But that was OK. I could handle it. Then I had back-to-back-to-back meetings this morning, meetings which didn't quite go as I had hoped. And then when I went to synch up my palm pilot, I discovered that it was missing from my purse. I can only surmise that someone saw it lying at the top of my purse, next to my open office door (ok, stupid me), and took it. With my cash, credit cards, and receipts from the weekend. Yes, reimbursable receipts.

The palm pilot is in some ways the least of it. After all, the data was backed up fairly recently on my laptop. I've replaced two of these already and never lost anything important. But the money, the IDs, the credit cards--all in the snazzy leather case that had come for free with this most recent PP purchase--all that's a loss.

The credit card reps have been nice, sympathetic, all that. I guess I go for a new driver's license tomorrow, and a university ID as well. The cards are already cancelled. The cash is of course a loss, and I don't know quite how much was there (around $50?) because I'd been travelling and not quite keeping track. Again, shame on me.

I could have handled the bad meetings OR the theft. But both in one day seems like too much. Maybe this is my Lenten trial, in which case I guess I'm getting off pretty light compared to, say, crucifixion. But I'm not in the mood for silver linings quite yet. I just want to whine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post you got here. It would be great to read a bit more about this matter. The only thing I would like to see here is some photos of such gizmos as gps jammer.